Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Nod to Neil Peart and Rush

The idea for this blog came to me while listening to the classic Rush song Tom Sawyer. The lyrics were, at least in part, penned by Neil Peart, while Geddy Lee's voice wailing "The river!" is simply unforgettable. It is a powerful song with powerful lyrics--too heady for me to really get when I first heard it as an impressionable but slightly dull twelve-year-old. But at forty I think I pretty much get them and it wouldn't be right to have this blog with this theme without acknowledging Lee, Peart, and Lifeson, and their inspiration for it. Tonight I tip a cold one back for you boys and hope all is well for you.

Here is a link to their site.

By the way, all their old albums have been re-mastered and are available on CD. I've been purchasing them one at a time and re-enjoying them. Besides their great music, I appreciate the depth of their lyrics some of which are quite poignant in today's political climate. No Leftists these guys, unless you mean in the classic Jeffersonian sense. At least in their early stuff they come across as quite the Libertarians.

I recommend you buy some of their music if that style is your cup of tea. And if you've never heard them before give them a shot. They are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of rock-n-roll.

No comments: